Getting To Know This Home

Tuesday, February 11, 2014



It's a strange feeling to have a home and not really know it. It feels like home, and the people I love are in it, but I still don't really know this home. I don't know where all the creaks in the floor boards are yet. I haven't found the most comfortable spot on the couch. When things go bump in the still of the night, I'm not entirely sure where the noise is coming from. I haven't worked out the taps and the perfect setting for the hot water for my showers. I don't know all the rooms. As we fill up this space with old things, new things, old memories and new ones, I'm taking time each day to discover the quirks and charms of this new space. 


I feel this is especially important for me as more than my home, this is Patrick and Miss 9's home. I'm still moving between Fiji and New Zealand, but at least it's reduced from three countries to two. While I am here, I have some exploring to do. What I do know, and what I know perfectly well is the light in this home. My desk, my space, is located just by the large lounge room windows where light comes flooding in.


As the light moves so do I. The morning light perfect to write in, the midday light calls for curling up on the couch with the book, the afternoon light invites me for a nap...and so it goes.

Have you been in your home for a while? 
Do you feel like you know your home? 

10 comments:

  1. What a perfectly timed post! As you know, we are in between homes now too. We spent the night in our "new house" - sleeping on the floor - just to get to know it a bit before we started renovating. You are so right - we had the exact same conversation about the hot water on the tap and all the little details you don't know about the place yet. I'm getting to know it and hoping it will be a good fit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sure it will feel like your home soon enough .... once your smells are in the house like your shower gel in the bathroom and perfume in the bedroom it will feel more like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know my home now…hot water tap all the way up, morning light in my bedroom, afternoon light in Toddler C's bedroom and the kitchen is always the warmest room in the house!
    I love the process of creating a home…and I think taking it slow and appreciating all the details is the best way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the ten years before I met Stu, I moved homes some 7 times! So I know exactly what you're saying. It's home but it still doesn't quite feel like home. Looks really lovely though. Hope you are well, Vanisha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are for almost 6 years in our current flat and by now I feel like I know pretty much everything about our space. It became 'us' but it took time just like you said....I bet your home will feel more you in no time, darling. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been here 8 years. I just wrote a home-post tonight. In Icelandic though, but with a photo :) I took a couple of years to adjust. Today, selling would be devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our home is transitory at the moment. We thought we would be in Italy by now, but the situation there with employment is not good. We are renting for now, but that adds a little to my unsettled feeling.

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post! I completely relate to what you are saying. We moved in November and I'm still learning about the house. I'm not quite settled but I know I will be there one day. I think it's bound to happen when I have bought a few new things for the living room. That space still feels a bit foreign to me. It will also happen when spring arrives and we can start enjoying the patio and garden ... I'm very much looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've actually also just moved home and feel exactly the same way...still figuring out how to get the perfect water temp in the shower, where to take my foodie photos and what the noises are in the middle of the night! But you know what..I like it - it is our first home home and I can't wait to make it all mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to see more of your beautiful home. Loving the new name and style. I'm trying to figure out new names and styles for the upcoming changes and I just can't make decisions!

    ReplyDelete

The comments you leave on my blog are as great as getting letters in the mail. Thank You! I do ask that you not spam me with "follow me and I'll follow back" comments.

 

© Vanisha: A Life Un-Styled All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger