{Style} What to Wear to a Fashion Show

Tuesday, April 30, 2013


With FashFest Canberra only a few days away a lot of the Canberra based bloggers have been talking about 'what to wear'. I've been part of that conversation too, but I was lucky enough to be able to put together an outfit at the studio of Canberra designers 4 Minutes 33. I had a clear idea of what I wanted to wear to the festival, I wanted something:

  • black or neutral in color 
  • simple (non-fidgety and comfortable) 
  • from a Canberra designer 
  • that could be integrated into my existing wardrobe 
  • versatile - something that I could wear often (my wedding dress set very high standards because it is very versatile!) 
I'm fortunate that I've found an outfit that ticks all these boxes. I will not be the most fashionable person in the room, or even remotely close to that but I've always believed that at fashion shows and events the fashion belongs on the runway and style in the audience. And that's what I've gone for - or at least that's what the aim is! We'll see what happens Friday night.


 via

My personal experience has been: 

1. Keep the outfit simple (in color and style) 
2. Wear something you're comfortable in (nothing worse than constantly having to tug at hems or fiddle with straps) 
3. It's about the bag 
4. and the shoes (I always spend more on bags and shoes than clothes, I think they're a better investment. You don't have to wear designer shoes or have a designer bag but having the accessories as the statement piece could work to your advantage) 
5. Posture - more important than your clothes, it's how you carry yourself and how you sit! 
6. Legs - watch those legs ladies, especially if you're sitting front row


Still on the topic of shoes, (especially if you're still front row), you might want to make sure those shoes are in great condition, especially the soles. I'm not wearing shoes with a colored sole so the wear doesn't show as much. Even so, I make sure my the soles of my shoes are protected using Protect Your Pumps (VANISHA01 for a discount on your order). 


If I had a little cutie to take to the shows I would forget all about the outfit! 

I wish I could say something about hair and make-up but if you know me, you know that I know nothing about these things. I've had one hair trial and one make-up trial. Happy with the make-up not happy with the hair, so we will see. I think overall, everything about my outfit, hair, make-up will be a honest reflection of my style (or lack thereof, depending on what you like, we're all different and that's okay). It will be a reflection of what I love and what I'm comfortable in. I'm not about to compromise that, not even for a fashion show. I have a friend who wears vintage beautifully, and I hope she wears vintage because she wears it beautifully. Perhaps we can use events like this to really showcase who we are as women rather than try to put on our own show...

More than the expensive shoes and designer dress, I want to feel comfortable, warm (it'll be so cold!), and confident with who I am and with who I am in what I'm wearing. So my answer to that "what to wear to a fashion show" would be - what you'd normally wear but a little more polished than the everyday version! 


And now that I have my outfit sorted, I think I'm going to have to listen to Patrick explain his outfit choice for the festival! 

Have you been to a fashion show? 
What is your take on dressing for fashion events? 


9 comments:

  1. Fashion shows are lots of fun:) It's been awhile since I've been. Your list of things to consider covers everything. I'm sure you will look stunning Vanisha! Have a great time.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh so fun! And it's definitely about the bag...great tip :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. going to a fashion show is one of my dreams since Milan Fashion Week is something super big here in Italy..

    Unfortunately here the rules are the opposite, the more weirdest way you dress the better..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how your evening goes. I've never been to a fashion show. I think I would love it, but I'd be nervous too. Great rules to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only fashion show I've been to was a quarterly sales meeting for a clothing & lingerie company. It was lovely to hang out with a group of great women, despite my total lack of fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun to dress up and walk down the red carpet posing against the media wall. I wore a classic black crystal fabric tunic dress with chiffon sleeves to the last one I've been to. Looking forward to see your fashion show outfit. I'm sure it'll be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, yes. I wish you could be my personal stylist, ha ha! I need help with my wardrobe for even the simplest outings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo how exciting you get to go to a fashion show!! i've never been but really need to get my butt to one- i'm a shameful fashion blogger aren't i? and i like your tips on how to dress their. but lord how i'd have a problem with going with something neutral. i'm all about the colors and pattern mixing ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vanisha, I haven't been to a fashion show before but from your ideas and advice and I would think exactly the same...local designer, simple, neutral, elegant and killer accessories.

    ReplyDelete

The comments you leave on my blog are as great as getting letters in the mail. Thank You! I do ask that you not spam me with "follow me and I'll follow back" comments.

 

© Vanisha: A Life Un-Styled All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger