A Perfect Day In...The Illawarra

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My A Perfect Day In...series is one of my favorites on this blog, and I'm really excited that I get to introduce Stephanie from A Oui Bit of Oomph. Stephanie is a blogger based in Wollongong, Australia and today she'll be sharing her perfect day in her hometown. When I received this post, I immediately checked the bus timetables, wanting to go visit her the very next day (I'm not even exaggerating, too bad there wasn't a return bus on Sunday!)




















When I first moved down to Wollongong, everyone around me kept saying how boring a place it is and how excited they are to move to Sydney straight after graduation. Six months after my graduation, I am still here in Wollongong enjoying the coastal lifestyle and exploring all that the Illawarra region has to offer. I find that it suits my lazy pace perfectly and has a temperamental weather reminiscent of where I lived in England (Loughborough). My inability, and lack of interest, in driving at the moment has enabled me to take full advantage of the different bus options available to me. On my days off work, I like to spend as much time as possible doing things that make me feel like I am living a luxurious life irrespective of my financial status. It is my own way of creating a fantasy island where I can escape the worries of life and the stress that comes with work: think of it as the wardrobe that leads to Narnia!



My perfect day usually begins and ends at the City Beach. I like to go for a walk early in the morning walk just before the sun rises and the roads get busy. There’s just something about the salty air and sea breeze that put me in a positive mood and remind me of what I have now. Going for a walk allows me to start the day with a clear mind.



Other than the beach, two main attractions of the Illawarra are: the café culture and the ease of travel between suburbs. I live in the midst of it all with cafes and restaurants in every building on my street and the bus stop just 2 minutes away from my apartment. I often take the bus from Wollongong to Shellharbour to enjoy the views from the different suburbs as I go through and also indulge in a spot of window-shopping at the Shellharbour village. A cup of meliccino and mud chocolate cake at “The Coffee Club” sets the tone for people watching and my walkabout in Shellharbour.



To end my day outdoors, I walk from the harbour towards the end of the city beach and always run into someone from my apartment block. I like to sit down and just listen to the waves as it gets darker. For some reason, this always helps with my infinite need to daydream and work towards a plan on how to achieve them. It is my answer to meditation.

image via edited by Vanisha

If you’re ever in the Illawarra region, here are some things to do and places to go:
Coffee
Diggies café at 1 Cliff road, Wollongong for pancakes
Litani’s at 120 Corrimal street, Wollongong for brunch Mediterranean style
Swell café on 135 Crown street Wollongong for a caffeine boost while browsing
Food 
Jasmine Rice at 131 Corrimal street, Wollongong
The Lagoon restaurant for seafood (lagoonrestaurant.com.au)
Things To Do
If you’ve got some time to spare, why not go:
dolphin watching at the lighthouse on North beach
skydiving
bushwalking at Stanwell Park
watch a play at the IPAC theatre

One of the great things about blogging is you can almost always be guaranteed a friendly face, someone who is up for a drink and a chat no matter where you go. I hope you have a moment to stop by and say hi to Stephanie or leave her a sweet little message here so that she can find you! Perhaps it'll be the start to a great blogship...friendship...who knows....

11 comments:

  1. i need some coffee and some of those treats right this second! Love ur photos! xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Wollongong looks like a beautiful place to visit and enjoy a great time in. Coffee and Skydiving, perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful relaxing place, and yet another reason for me to visit Australia someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love seeing other's perceptions of where they live

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this because I lived in Wollongong for 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this makes me want to drive to Wollongong too! I haven't been there for the longest time. I need to go back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to Stephanie for sharing the wonders of her city, it sounds and looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Stephanie has made her home sound so blissful! I'm not sure I could live at a lazy pace, but I would love to vacation at one :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a lovely day, and in certain ways similar to one of my perfect days in Las Palmas. Especially the walks on the beach are pure therapy for me. Enjoy, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete

The comments you leave on my blog are as great as getting letters in the mail. Thank You! I do ask that you not spam me with "follow me and I'll follow back" comments.

 

© Vanisha: A Life Un-Styled All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger